Villefranche sur Mer

Villefranche sur Mer
it all starts with a beach

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Le Cannet - a pleasant surprise!

Following my morning trip to Marché Forville, I'm off to the Muséé Bonnard. The women at the bus station recommend it, advise to take bus #1 Cannett, which drops me off right across the street from the museum. And how lovely!


 Opened in 2011 to honor famed Cannet artist, Pierre Bonnard, the museum houses many Bonnard masterpieces, especially landscapes, inspired by his adopted town.



"During my morning walks, I amuse myself by defining various  concepts of landscapes - landscape, intimate landscape, decorative landscape, etc. But each day I take in different elements - the sky, the objects, everything is constantly changing.
One could end up drowning in it. But it enables us to live."
Pierre Bonnard, 1940.
  
Vue du Cannet, P. Bonnard

The current collection of paintings, drawings, and sculptures (from museums and private collections) is a force, featuring Bonnard, Brancusi, Matisse, Picasso, Renior, Maillol, Van Dongen, Vuillard, and other masters, creating Les Belles Endormies (Sleeping Beauties). Caught in that magic suspension of time (sleeping, resting, dreaming), these femmes showcase the artistic talent of artistic greats in the late 1800's, early 1900's. By the fourth floor I'm thinking that the models have all fallen asleep...and I need  a coffee. Beautiful show!!                                                                                                                      La Nuit ou La Lune, 1922 Kees Van Dongen


 Elle est belle comme ceux qui n'ont pas souffret...
Seulement un peu ple d'avoir depuis cent ans
sommeille sans les arbres, sans voir le ciel.


" Je reve, donc je suis" 
(I dream, therefore I am) - 
August Strindburg



Femme Couchee, 1932
Pablo Picsso

Femme assoupie sur un lit ou l'indolent, 1899, Pierre Bonnard

(some art shots courtesy of the museum)

I wander the gardens and notice the church next door, heading around to the Eglise Sainte Philomene.

Later sauntering up a small street I find...surprise! A square overlooking the church the museum, and the entire Cannes coastline.


The old village is a surprise and a treat. After a chocolate glacé, I take 'Bonnard's promenade' and enter the artist's universe - a cultural stroll to 8 sites, all painted by Bonnard.

Ubiquitous to every French town is a war memorial to those lost in 1st and 2nd world wars. I stand at each, saddened by the "children of" - Cannet...Biot...Mougins...Vence...Nice...EVERY town -  killed by national violence.



 I watch children playing netless volleyball in a park, enjoy all the painted buildings 
(this is an artists' world). Overall, this town just feels PLEASANT. 
Lots of palms, hibiscus, and bamboo everywhere...feels like home.





No comments:

Post a Comment